Skip All Navigation

Access Maine logo
Site Search:

Contact Us! Feedback

The Department of Health and Human Services provides and supports community-based and residential servicesto consumers with behavioral and developmental needs.  DHHS organizes its community-based services in the state into regions. DHHS contracts with providers in each region to deliver services to consumers.

BH serves adults and children with:

  • mental illness
  • mental retardation
  • developmental disabilities
  • autism
  • addiction disorders

BH organizes their services into the following four sections:

Services for Adults with Mental Illness

DHHS is responsible for serving individuals 18 years and older with serious mental illness. To receive services, it must be determined that the mental illness interferes with a person's ability to function day to day.  DHHS prioritizes services to persons who are homeless, deaf, have addiction disorders, have been institutionalized in the state mental health institute, or are from a minority culture.

The community and home-based mental health services include:

  • community support services/case management
  • crisis intervention and resolution
  • residential and housing support services
  • rehabilitation
  • outpatient medication/management

Residential mental health services are provided at the Riverview Psychiatric Center - a 100 bed residential facility for psychiatric treatment and at the Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Center- a 100 bed residential facility to treat people with severe mental illness. 

Contact one of the regional offices for these services.

Link to these services on the MH website:

Services for Adults with Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities

DHHS is responsible for providing services to adults age 18 and older who have been diagnosed with developmental disabilities. Adults with developmental disabilities are usually eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This makes them eligible for MaineCare (Medicaid). MaineCare services through DHHS include:

  • training and assistance to improve health, fitness, and development
  • assistance in improving the ability to perform activities of daily living
  • behavioral adaptation to community life
  • day habilitation services
  • respite care
  • crisis intervention
  • transportation to access necessary services
  • adaptive aids and communication aids
  • environmental modifications
  • supported employment

Contact one of the nine Social Security offices in Maine to apply for Supplemental Security Income.


Contact the Office of Family Independence in the Department of Health and Human Services to apply for MaineCare (Medicaid) before applying to one of the DHHS regional offices for these services.


Contact the DHHS Office of Aging and Disability Services to learn more about these services.


Link to these services on the BH website:

Children's Services

The Department of Health and Human Services is responsible for providing services for children through age 18 with mental illness, mental retardation, autism, or other developmental disabilities. 

Children's services include:

  • prevention and consultation
  • crisis intervention
  • individual planning and case management
  • family and child supports
  • core clinical services
  • residential treatment
  • behavior management
  • life skills development
  • social skills training

Sometimes staff refer to some services provided to children as "Section 24" or "Section 65" services. These terms refer to behavior management, life skills development and social skills training. Section 24 is for children with mental retardation or autism. Section 65 supports children with behavioral or mental health needs.

Family support services include:

  • respite
  • parent and sibling support groups
  • social and recreational activities

Early Intervention (birth to 3 years) includes:

  • case management services
  • developmental therapy
  • infant mental health
  • infant, toddler, and family supports

In addition to community-based services, residential services for children with profound mental retardation and multiple medical needs are provided at the Elizabeth Levinson Center, an intermediate care facility (ICF-MR).

To access Children's Services, contact the DHHS office in your region.

Link to these services on the OCFS website:

Substance Abuse Services

Substance Abuse Services are the responsibility of the Office of Substance Abuse (OSA). OSA plans, develops, implements, coordinates and evaluates all of the State's alcohol and drug abuse prevention and treatment activities and services. OSA must provide treatment for any person who is dependent on or abuses alcohol or other substances in violation of the law. OSA provides services to both adults and children. OSA contracts with outpatient and residential service providers to provide substance abuse services in the State.

To access Substance Abuse Services, contact the BH office in your region.

Link to these services on the DHHS SAMHSwebsite:

BH Contact Information

Central Administration Mailing Address:

  • BH Central Administration
    11 State House Station
    Augusta, ME  04333-0040
    Phone: (207) 287-4243
    Fax: (207) 287-4268
    TTY: Maine relay - 711

The Behavioral Health is organized into three regions in the State.  To apply for services contact the office that serves your region.  Be sure to ask to speak with a representative of the service that you need:

  • Services for Adults with Mental Illness
  • Services for Adults with Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities
  • Children's Services
  • Substance Abuse Services

Contact Information for the 3 BH Regions

Region I Counties: Cumberland, York

Administrative Office/ Adult Developmental Services

175 Lancaster Street, Portland, ME  04101

Phone: (207)822-0270 or 1-800-269-5208

FAX: (207)822-0295

TTY: 888 254-3011


Administrative Office/Mental Health Services

175 Lancaster Street, Portland, ME  04101

Phone: (207)822-0126 or 1 800-269-5208

FAX: (207)822-0295 TTY: 888 254-3011


Administrative Office/Children Services

161 Marginal Way Portland, ME 04101-2438

Phone: (207) 822-2231

FAX: (207) 822-2146

TTY: (888) 720-1925


Portland & Sanford District Office

890 Main Street, Suite 208 Sanford ME 04073

Phone:(800) 482-0790




Regional Transportation Program (RTP) in Portland, ME has launched an easy-to-use Web site at  to better inform Cumberland County residents - including persons with special needs - about RTP's wide range of low-cost ride programs.


Region II Counties: Androscoggin, Franklin, Kennebec, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Sagadahoc, Somerset, and Waldo Counties



SHS #11 35 Anthony Avenue Augusta, ME 04333

Phone: 207-624-8009 or 1-800-675-1828

FAX: 207-287-4052

TTY: 207-287-4238



15 Mollison Way Lewiston, ME 04240

Phone: 207-753-9100 or 1800-866-1803

FAX: 207-782-1753

TTY: 207-753-9102



91 Camden Street, Suite 103 Rockland, ME 04841

Phone: 207-596-4302 or 1-800-704-8999

FAX: 207-596-2304

TTY: 1-800-606-0215


Region III Counties: Aroostook, Hancock, Penobscot, Piscataquis, Washington


176 Hogan Road, Bangor, ME 04401
Phone: (207)941-4360 or 1-800-963-9491

FAX: (207)941-4389
TTY: 1-800-606-0215


11 High Street Houlton, ME 04730
Phone: 1-800-432-7338

FAX: (207)-532-7995
TTY: 1-800-606-0215


Van Buren
4 Main Street Van Buren, ME 04785
Phone: N/A


Fort Kent
137 Market Street, Fort Kent, ME 04743
Phone: 1-800-432-7366
TTY: 1-800-606-0215


15 Prescott Drive, Suite 3 Machias, ME 04654
Phone: ; (207)-255-1955

FAX: (207)-255-1958
TTY: 1-800-606-0215

Back to top

Maine State System pages:

The Maine State System  |  Directory of Services
Department of Corrections (DOC) | Department of Education (DOE)
Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)  |  Department of Labor (DOL)

Home | Living in the Community | Maine State System | Using the Internet
Health Center | Library & Glossary | Maine Store | Site Map