Age 18 Checklist
Note:Not all activities are applicable to everyone
- Apply for Social Security benefits and/or SSI (Contact
local Social Security Office to determine timeline for applying).
- Research appropriateness of a special needs trust.
- Determine upper age limits on eligibility for children
with disabilities on your personal insurance policy.
- Explore health insurance
options (i.e. MaineCare/Medicaid). See MaineCare Section.
- Register for the Draft (males only) at the local Post Office.
- Petition court for guardianship, if necessary. Contact local Probate
Court to determine timeline for applying and associated costs.
- Ensure application for Vocational Rehabilitation services has
occurred (interview completed and application signed).
Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services (BDS)
- Apply for eligibility of Adult Services (even if your child
case management services)
To speed up the process for applying for both SSI and MaineCare
(Medicaid), take the following items to your appointment:
- Birth Certificate
- Bank Account Records
- School Records (IEP & Assessments)
- Medical Records/Medication
- Names, Addresses, & Phone Numbers of Doctors who treat your
- A copy of Special Needs Trust, if applicable