Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS): If you have reason to believe that a dependent adult in Maine is being abused, neglected, or exploited please immediately notify Adult Protective Services.  If you have an emergency, please call 911.

  • Option 1: Report by phone:
    • Call 1-800-624-8404 (available 24/7)
    • TTY In State, Maine Relay 711
    • TTY Out-of-State (after hours) 207-287-3492
  • Option 2: Fill out the online APS Reporting Form 

Adult Guardianship: In Maine, a guardian for an adult may be appointed by a Probate Court for an adult who is unable to receive and evaluate information or make informed decisions to such an extent that the individual lacks the ability to meet essential requirements for physical health, safety or self-care.  Concerns that an adult is incapacitated and in need of a guardian should be reported to Adult Protective Services to initiate a guardianship study.

For local community information about resources to help families and individuals meet their needs contact 211 Maine, a free and confidential helpline: